Re: Configuration management, revision 3

Martin Oldfield <m@mail.tc> wrote:
> Isn't the obvious generalization to divide configuration questions
> into blocks, then specify a state machine to navigate between blocks ?

Er, if you don't mind that you have a nondeterministic state machine
(for example: all possible states exist in parallel) when you're
describing the configuration for many machines.

However, I don't think we should be trying to be all things for all
people here.  All we're trying to do is make packages minimally
usable -- not fully instrument the system.

I think looking at what's currently being done in the dpkg scripts
(preinst, postinst, prerm) and justifying it, or coming up with an
alternative where it's complex, is a worthwhile exercise.

--
Raul