Re: Configuration management, revision 3

Previously Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> First, you try not to do that in the postinsts. Look at how M$ forms most
> of it's configuration and you don't see this. A change of what you want to
> ask and how you phrase it can likely advoid many of these cases.

Look again. Microsoft has gotten very fond of wizards, which are basically
the same thing: you ask a question, look at the answer and decide which
question you want to ask next.

> Having a progmatic type script does not aleviate this problem, you still
> have exactly the same situation when you have a pre-initialized database.
> Remember with a description of the field you still have progmatic control
> over when/what fields are accessed!

So it seems we need something else: a language in which you can describe
every possibly bit of data you want to use, and a description of a
decision process to evaluate the answers. I was hoping to avoid this now,
but it looks like that's idle hope :(. There should still be hooks to call
external programs. I'll browse through some language books and see if there's
already something fitting the bill. Maybe we could use a subset of a
existing language.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@wi.LeidenUniv.nl