Re: Configuration management, revision 3

Previously Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> I strongly suspect that if we take a carefull look at what the
> configuration scripts are asking we will find this is not a major hurdle
> for MOST things - and a such should not be the central focus of any
> proposal.

The term "not MOST things" has a tendency to bite you afterwards.

> I think we can skip that. If a package has super-complex configuartion
> then the package can provide a full blown configuration script that can be
> 'installed' seperately.

I think not only super-complex programs need this. But even if complex
packages are being used, we would still want to use this, since we do
want a common frontend and configuration of all packages in one run.

> Lack of the configuration script should NOT preclude configuration, just
> make it more complex. It would play the same role as MS's wizard.

I would really like to see you configure a microsoft program after installing
it.. (yes, I know windows. I even develop software for it).

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@wi.LeidenUniv.nl