Re: Configuration management, revision 3

Previously Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> What are you trying to achive? Do you want some sort of tool to pre-scan
> all the .debs, configure them then install?

I want a method to configure packages before unpacking them. If that
involves pre-scanning .deb's, so be it. Doing this is a thing we've wanted
for a long time now, and since all installers (apt,dselect) download
all packages before installing pre-scanning is a workable solution.
Using a seperate file such as Packages is not a real solution, since we
all know the Packages-file has a tendency to be out of sync on mirrors.

> A script is necessary in the pre/postinst no matter what you decide as
> that is the only time configuration information can be transformed into
> package config files.

I never said I wanted to abolish those. They just have a seperate purpose
IMHO.

> Is this important? It doesn't hurt if the question is asked, all that
> happens is that the user becomes confused and a bit of space is wasted.

Confusing the user it the worst thing we could possibly do. So yes,
this is important.

> Yep - but perhaps there are other ways than what you are describing..

Any other ideas are welcome.. I can't think of any.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@wi.LeidenUniv.nl