Re: Configuration management, revision 3

Previously Joey Hess wrote:
> I guess I haven't thought the non-interactive frontends through. I was under
> the impression they had to be pre-seeded with data about the questions. If
> they can just return the default to everything (and everything has a sane
> default of course), that handles non-interactive installs nicely.

Maybe we should use degrees of interactiveness which parallel the priorities
Ian mentioned (no, I haven't found his proposal yet, my net access is somewhat
limited until next week). At the highest interactiveness everything is
shown, as my original interactive frontend. And the other end you can
have total non-interactiveness, where configuration actually fails if the
information in the configuration space is not acceptable.

I haven't yet decided how to do frontends which can't store data (LDAP for
example). The two options are making SET and DSET fail, or using a local
database to supplement the LDAP information.

> It still doesn't handle the concept that some questions are more important
> than others. Ie,

Do you have any comments on my idea for that? I'll qoute it here:
   TEXT is currently defined is a method to add explanatory text to the
   questions. Maybe we should add a command oposite to GO, which says
   "start building a new display, of type (error|message|input)". Then
   we could ditch the RESET command and use that instead. Maybe even add
   a priority flag to it..

> I can't find it. :-( It was posted to debian-devel or -policy within the
> past 2 months, IIRC.

I'll look through the online archives when I have a normal net-connection
again.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@wi.LeidenUniv.nl