Re: Contrib Copyright Review

jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl <jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> I'm not sure if it that black and white.
>
> There's the exception clause for "system libraries"; as Motif is part of
> Unix9[58], and Linux is a variant of that in some regards, one could argue
> (and IIRC, RMS has argued) that linking against Motif is admissible.

The GPL has a clause that allows linking against such system libraries if
they're included n all copies of the system.  Since Motif isn't included
on all copies of Linux, that clause doesn't apply.  It doesn't matter
if you classify Linux as Unix98, because Motif still isn't shipped with
all copies of the system.

> Also, would we be allowed to distribute e.g. LyX source-only under the GPL?

Well, section 2 (the one that says what you must do to be able to
distribute works which contain GPLed code) doesn't talk about source
vs. object code -- that's section 3.

It looks to me like we're allowed to disribute the GPLed parts of LyX,
but we're not allowed to distribute them as a coherent whole if that
whole has non-free code in it.

--
Raul