Re: Contrib Copyright Review

On Sat, Jul 18, 1998 at 08:38:59AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl <jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 17, 1998 at 10:34:41PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> > No. There are several reasons why a GPL-ed package may not meet the
> > criteria for main.
>
> That probably means we're not allowed to distribute them at all. That's
> what the GPL says.

I'm not sure if it that black and white.

There's the exception clause for "system libraries"; as Motif is part of
Unix9[58], and Linux is a variant of that in some regards, one could argue
(and IIRC, RMS has argued) that linking against Motif is admissible.

Also, would we be allowed to distribute e.g. LyX source-only under the GPL?

Ray
--
Cyberspace, a final frontier. These are the voyages of my messages,
on a lightspeed mission to explore strange new systems and to boldly go