Re: libc6_2.0.7r-3 considered harmful

[Moving this discussion to -policy, please remove -devel from headers if
following up]

[The issue here is whether the archives should automatically keep backups,
in case of harmful upgrades like the recent libc6]

--On Mon, Jul 6, 1998 4:49 pm +1000 "Herbert Xu"
<herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.980705233522.180A-100000@dwarf.polaris.net> you
wrote:
>> While I agree, the current management of the archives makes this quite
>> difficult, as there isn't sufficient archive space to keep every old
>> version of every package, which is the only way to be "absolutely" safe.
>
> I'm not sure if I need old deb files but I have always wanted an archive
of old
> diff files though.

It seems to me that the appropriate answer is just this - to keep diff
files, which should be much smaller.

And possibly the archive either needs orig.tar.gz, or it needs a URL from
which it can retrieve it (this is a possible candidate for a field in the
.dsc file - URL to retrieve upstream source).  Then automated scripts on the
archive could rebuild old versions if required.

Comments?

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |