Re: shlibs in binary packages allowed at all or no?

Gregory S. Stark writes:
 > > My feeling was that if a shlib was not used nor ever likely to be used
 > > by any other packages, then it's ok to package it along with binaries.
 > > Reading policy, no such allowance is made.
 >
 > I understand, but the problem is that if ever you make a mistake you are in
 > trouble. The e2fsprogs maintainer was quite surpised when I uploaded zephyr
 > and kerberos, which used libss and libcom_err neither of which had any uses
 > previously.

Hm ?  Is it the previous e2fsprogs maintainer you're speaking about ?

Nonetheless, I confirm that the way e2fsprogs is, ie. containing its
shared libs, which are since some time now used by several programs,
is a Real Bad Thing (tm).  Especially, as it is an Essential package,
I could not even find a secure way of splitting the libs out of it.

There was a try about this (remember ss2g, comerr2g and e2fslibsg ?),
in which I found only 2 ways:

* marking the lib packages as Essential (bad, and against policy)
* suppressing the Predepends line of e2fsprogs against its libs, thus
allowing to a failed install to break it

I suppose such a split will need some changes to dpkg.  If someone can
do it soon, I'd say let's go for it ASAP.

--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@mygale.org> | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
isp-email:   <ydirson@a2points.com> |     support Debian GNU/Linux: