Re: conffiles versus configuration files

    Kai> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XCal.help
    Kai> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XEarth

    Manoj> 4.7. Programs for the X Windows system [...]

 uhh, /etc/X11/Xresources.d ?  :-)

    Kai> /usr/sbin/faxrunqd

    Manoj> This is really bad programming style, if it expects one to
    Manoj>  edit a script for configuration. This is quite user
    Manoj>  unfriendly, and, moreevr, it means that changes can't be
    Manoj>  saved merely by backing up /etc.

 It seems to me it would also make it more difficult to create a `gui'
 style interface for configuring such a program.

    Kai> /var/list/.bin/mimencap.local /var/list/.etc/archive.txt
    Kai> /var/list/.etc/help.txt /var/list/.etc/rc.archive
    Kai> /var/list/.etc/rc.custom /var/list/.etc/rc.main
    Kai> /var/list/.etc/rc.post /var/list/.etc/rc.request
    Kai> /var/list/.etc/rc.submit /var/list/.etc/subscribe.txt
    Kai> /var/list/.etc/unsubscribe.txt

    Manoj> What on earth are these files? If they are user
    Manoj> configurable, how come they are in hidden directories? Why
    Manoj> are they not in a subdir of /etc, with a symlink as needed?
    Manoj> This seems like a bug to me.

 Those are for `smartlist'.  They are `procmailrc' files.  I like them
 where they are, since they can be backed up as a set, separate from
 "/etc/".

    Kai> /var/news/WELCOME

 Again, this can be made a backup set.  (perhaps a low priority one at
 that.)