Re: /var/mail back to /var/spool/mail

Hi,
	Well, I think I disagree with the statement that incoming mail
 is not a spool item. I think it _is_ a variation of the news spool,
 or the mail queue: incoming mail is spooled until the Human handles
 it and takes it off the spool area. The difference is that each
 individual piece of mail does not get a separate file, but IMHO that
 is not enough of a distinction.

	Why are mail boxes accessed a ``LOT'' more often? I have been
 reading mail on UNIX boxes for the last decade or so, and I do not
 really notice that much of a change in my habits. Frankly, my news
 spool is accessed at least as much as the mailboxes are.

	I like having a separate /var/spool area; where incoming
 mail/news are kept, and I keep a special watch on that space
 (daemon+beeper) to ensure that does not get filled up.

	Also, does anyone have an idea of what UNIX98 says about this?
 I would rather have the FHS be UNIX98 compliant than not. Cross
 platform compatibility is a *good* thing.

	manoj
--
 apostrophy: when your apostrophe atrophies. David Bedno
 <drseuss@gorn.santa-cruz.CA.US>