Re: RFC: Emacs add-on packages and make.

"Davide G. M. Salvetti" <salve@debian.org> writes:

> 	if [ -x /usr/bin/make ]; then

Nice touch Manoj, I'm not sure I would have thought about the fact
that I was using make and it wasn't guaranteed to be there.  I'm so
used to having make around, I just don't generally think about not
having it...

In any case, I'm inclined to side with Davide here.  I think that
people really will expect that if the install goes smoothly (no
errors) that psgml, vm, etc will all be properly byte-compiled at
completion.  I certainly would have, and would there be any way (other
than looking at the package scripts) for someone to know that the
reason that the packages weren't byte-compiled (assuming I even
noticed) was because make wasn't installed when the packages were?

If they were my packages, I would probably go ahead and have them them
depend on make, but as a compromise, would you consider at least
having them *suggest* make?

And Manoj, as an aside, Davide really does seem like a pretty
reasonable person.  He certainly seems willing to learn when you point
something out.

You can certainly scare people off who could be helpful if you're too
harsh when you think they've make mistakes.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>