Policy Manual 2.4.1.0 - Copyright Information

     Section 5.6, Copyright information, says:

     Every package must be accompanied by a verbatim copy of its
     copyright and distribution license in the file
     /usr/doc/<package-name>/copyright. This file must neither be
     compressed nor be a symbolic link.

     It is common practice for packages that are distributed under
the GPL to include the GPL's standard notice.  In packages that
include the text of an older version of the GPL, the last paragraph of
this notice includes the old address for the FSF.  I have tried
incorporating this notice verbatim in the copyright file, and followed
it by the standard Debian paragraphs:

|     On Debian GNU/Linux systems, the complete text of the GNU General
|Public License can be found in `/usr/doc/copyright/GPL'.
|
|     A copy of the GNU General Public License is also available at
|<URL:http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html>.  You may also obtain it by
|writing to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite
|330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.

     However, lintian reports an error for the incorrect address,
even when followed by the correct address.  Therefore, I have removed
the final paragraph of the original copyright notice, leaving in its
place the two paragraphs quoted above.  I believe this complies with
the spirit of the policy, but not with the letter of it.

     Is this an acceptable procedure?  If not, lintian should be
modified so that it doesn't call it an error to include the old
address if it also finds the correct address in the document.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>