FSSTND/FHS

     I have a general and a specific question.

     First, the general question - The Policy Manual 2.4.1.0 contains
the same requirements regarding the FSSTND as previous versions: "The
location of all installed files and directories must comply fully
with the Linux Filesystem Structure (FSSTND)."

     Compliance with the FHS is reported to be a goal for Debian 2.1.
I believe guidelines for this should be developed now, and new
packages being prepared for slink should follow these guidelines.  I
suggest that the necessary discussions be started to develop policy
guidelines for the migration to the FHS should be started, and a copy
of the FHS be made available on the Debian web site.

     My specific question relates to several packages that I am about
to upload, that should place files in /usr/share.  Architecture
independent data-only files of this type were previously placed in a
subdirectory of /usr/lib.  A brief discussion of this was held on
debian-devel a few weeks ago.  All those who commented thought
/usr/share was the proper place for these files.

     The FSSTND still thinks that linux is a one-architecture system
(Section 6.3), and has little to say about /usr/share, except that "no
program should ever reference anything in /usr/share".

     To comply with this provision, I could create the symlink
/usr/lib/dict, pointing to /usr/share/dict, and use a /usr/lib path in
the dictd server's configuration file (which is the only way the
program accesses the files).  In view of the impending adoption of the
FHS, I believe that would be a futile and unecessary exercise.

     I note that many programs (lintian, for example) use /usr/share
directly.  In view of the recent virulent discussions regarding
ignoring policy, I believe it is appropriate for a policy statement
supporting the use of /usr/share without symlinks.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>