Re: conffiles versus configuration files

srivasta@datasync.com (Manoj Srivastava)  wrote on 16.04.98 in <[🔎] 871zux4aqx.fsf@tiamat.datasync.com>:

> >>"Ian" == Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

Ian>> I think that conffiles are usually configuration files, and
Ian>> configuration files always belong in /etc.  I think it would be a
Ian>> very exceptional conffile which shouldn't be in one of those
Ian>> areas.

> 	Could we go further and ask that any suchexception be
>  mentioned on the policy list, so the rest of us may see such wonders?
>  ;-) Given the fact that we can not determine off hand an example of
>  such a file, I think that this is not unreasonable.

Weell, a short grep/sort in /var/dpkg/info shows these candidates - note I
make no comment on their desirability either way:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XCal.help
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XEarth
/usr/lib/spamdb/constants
/usr/lib/spamdb/procmail.recipe
/usr/sbin/faxrunqd
/var/lib/dosemu/hdimage.first
/var/lib/games/nethack/logfile
/var/lib/games/nethack/record
/var/lib/gnats/gnats-db/gnats-adm/categories
/var/lib/gnats/gnats-db/gnats-adm/config
/var/lib/gnats/gnats-db/gnats-adm/gnatsd.conf
/var/lib/gnats/gnats-db/gnats-adm/responsible
/var/lib/gnats/gnats-db/gnats-adm/submitters
/var/lib/mime/mime-db
/var/list/.bin/mimencap.local
/var/list/.etc/archive.txt
/var/list/.etc/help.txt