Re: conffiles versus configuration files

Hi,
>>"Ian" == Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

>> I move that any changes made by the local adminstrator should fall
>> under the purvue of this: and any local changes made should be
>> saved by backing /etc; /var/lib/; /home; and /usr/local. I do not
>> care whether the changes ade are classified as changes for
>> configuration versus changes in conffiles (which, pardon me, does
>> seem a wee bit bureaucratic to me).

Ian> You want the whole of /var, and also /usr/src and /boot.

	Hmm. Possibly barring /var/tmp and /var/spool (the directory
 structure should be available somewhere, but the contents should not
 be required to re-configure the machine). (/usr/src? I am not
 disagreeing, just curious. The only thing I have in there not
 provided by the system is a bunch of .config files, mostly duplicated
 under /boot)

	I have a news spool and mirror in /var/spool. I do not find it
 important (on my installation) to back those up; others may
 feel the same. Or not.

>> If indeed this is deemed correct, then conffiles should be
>> restricted to one of these areas (I would prefer /etc, but I am not
>> adamant about it). If we do choose to restrict conffiles to /etc,
>> they could become a strict subset of configuration files ;-)

Ian> I think that conffiles are usually configuration files, and
Ian> configuration files always belong in /etc.  I think it would be a
Ian> very exceptional conffile which shouldn't be in one of those
Ian> areas.

	Could we go further and ask that any suchexception be
 mentioned on the policy list, so the rest of us may see such wonders?
 ;-) Given the fact that we can not determine off hand an example of
 such a file, I think that this is not unreasonable.

	I think it shall be helpful (especially for novice maintainers,
 who may well be confused about this issue) if the policy list (aided
 by the technical committee vett any such conffile not under
 /etc.

	manoj

--
 "The world is coming to an end.  Please log off." Bob Irwin
 (birwin@ficc.ferranti.com)