Re: PROPOSAL: Extrafiles (was Re: Conffiles...)

On Fri, Apr 17, 1998 at 12:34:18AM +0200, Christian Schwarz wrote:
> I agree that the extra files should *not* be purged automatically.
> However, dpkg should not forget about them.

I disagree.

Extrafiles are, the way I see them, files that the package itself takes
care of -- files that are created and maintained in the normal operation
of the program or in maintainer scripts. Once those programs are all
removed from the system, then there's nothing left to `take care' of
that extrafile, and, its continued existence is left to the whim of the
sysadmin.

As such, I don't think it's any of dpkg's business to know about removed
extrafiles.

In particular, I also think that typing something like...

	$ dpkg -S /etc/my_extrafile
        deleted_package: /etc/my_extrafile
	$ dpkg -l | grep deleted_package
	pn  deleted_package      <none>    (no descri...

would be somewhat disconcerting.

What would dpkg's continued knowledge of removed packages' extrafiles
gain?

Cheers,
aj

      ``It's not a vision, or a fear. It's just a thought.''