Re: PROPOSAL: Extrafiles (was Re: Conffiles...)

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 17, 1998 at 12:34:18AM +0200, Christian Schwarz wrote:
> > I agree that the extra files should *not* be purged automatically.
> > However, dpkg should not forget about them.
>
> I disagree.
[snip]

> What would dpkg's continued knowledge of removed packages' extrafiles
> gain?

If was thinking of the following: the current doc-base version creates
some `extra files' in other package's /usr/doc directories--for example,
the .dhelp files. Usually, the package should call doc-base in its prerm
script and doc-base will remove these files again. However, if either the
maintainer forgot to call doc-base in its prerm script, or if there is a
bug in doc-base, these files would be left on the system.

Now, if doc-base would have a way to tell dpkg of these dynamically
generated files, the user could query dpkg where these files came from and
perhaps tell dpkg to remove these files.

Cheers,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian has a logo!    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Check out the logo     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
pages at  http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/