Re: Locales and Programs parsing other's output

Christian Schwarz writes ("Re: Locales and Programs parsing other's output"):
> There are some maintainers (including you) who always shout `this should
> be documented in policy'. If we would document everything in policy, I
> would be too busy with getting low-priority topics approved and included
> in the manual and wouldn't have time anymore for the real important things
> (like the FHS migration). In addition, maintainers would have it much
> harder to keep up-to-date with policy changes, and maintainers would abuse
> the policy since their freedom would be restricted in aspects where this
> doesn't make sense.)

I'm beginning think we should split off the `standard programming
requirements' that aren't Debian-specific into a separate manual.  We
could call it `Some specific issues for correct programming' or
something.

That would give us somewhere to point at when people do stupid things,
and would unclutter the manual.  Then expert programmers could just
look at our other manuals to find out our particular requirements.

Also, we could put in a sarcastic introduction:

  Scope of this manual

  This manual documents some programming techniques which are
  essential for correct programming, and lists some mistakes which do
  not appear in correct programs.  A competent programmer in the
  languages in question will already be aware of them.

  They are documented here to assist less experienced programmers, and
  to provide a place to refer to when reporting problems or having
  trouble convincing an inexperienced programmer of their error(s).

  Nothing in this manual is specific to Debian package maintenance,
  though there may be some Debian-specific, Linux-specific or
  GNU-specific information.

Does anyone want to maintain this manual ?  I take it from Christian's
posting that he doesn't.

Ian.