Re: Locales and Programs parsing other's output

On 11 Apr 1998, James Troup wrote:

> Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
>
> > I don't think this is a topic which belongs to the policy
> > manual. (For example, the policy manual doesn't include a statement
> > like `dereferencing NULL pointers is evil' either.)
>
> Policy includes plenty of examples of policies which potentially
> require changes to programs and are similar to this proposal, e.g
> 2.4.5, 3.3.6, 3.9, 4.5.  How is this any different?  (Esp. comapre
> with 2.4.5)

There are some maintainers (including you) who always shout `this should
be documented in policy'. If we would document everything in policy, I
would be too busy with getting low-priority topics approved and included
in the manual and wouldn't have time anymore for the real important things
(like the FHS migration). In addition, maintainers would have it much
harder to keep up-to-date with policy changes, and maintainers would abuse
the policy since their freedom would be restricted in aspects where this
doesn't make sense.)

(It would be intresting to do a quiz and ask a few arbitrarily selected
maintainers about some policy details. I'm sure most maintainers don't
know the details of Debian Policy, since the manuals are already very
large. At least, this is the result I got from the Lintian reports--even
simpliest aspects of policy aren't followed by all developers, unless you
explicitely inform them about a bug in their package.)

I still think that the concrete case (Programs parsing other's output) is
too specialized for our Debian Policy Manual and I also think that even if
I'd include this, this won't help.

If someone has a different opinion, please speak up and give good
arguments.

(James, it looks like you just object to everything I say. Is this
intentional and is there something I could change in my behaviour? If not,
then please let us not put too much times in these `silly' discussions. We
both have more important things to do.)

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian has a logo!    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Check out the logo     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
pages at  http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/