Re: conffiles versus configuration files

Santiago Vila writes ("Re: conffiles versus configuration files"):
> >   `X is a conffile' =/=> `X is a configuration file'
>
> Mmm, do you mean, for example, that /etc/init.d/* scripts are not
> configuration files, because they are actually scripts (i.e. programs, not
> files that contain data)?

No, I don't mean that at all - because I disagree with your example.

I mean that just because X is a conffile doesn't necessarily imply
that X is a configuration file, or vice versa.

I even say:
   Note, however, that if changes to the file need to be made for the
   purposes of configuration then it is a configuration file and needs to
   be in /etc, and handled as 3a or 3b above.  For example, a script
   which embeds configuration or policy information (like
   /etc/init.d/rc.boot or whatever it's called nowadays) must not be in
   /usr but in /etc, so that (for example) it is backed up together with
   /etc when the sysadmin decides to back up their config.

So /etc/init.d/* scripts _are_ configuration files.

Ian.