Re: lintian: questions about shared libraries

On Wed, Apr 15, 1998 at 02:32:32PM +0200, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> 1. Lintian tries to detect if a certain file is a shared library or not.
> Currently, this is done by grepping the output of `objdump --headers
> --private-headers' for `SONAME'. If SONAME is found, it's a shared
> library, otherwise not.
>
> This works ok in most cases and also has the advantage that shared objects
> of, for example, Perl or Python modules are not recognized as shared
> libraries (this is intentional, since Perl and Python handle these shared
> objects directly--without ld.so, AFAIK).
>
> However, on some shared libraries this check fails. For example:
>
>   usr/lib/libgdk_imlib.so.1.1   in gdk-imlib1 package
>
> So, the question is now whether a shared library *must* set SONAME or not.
> If it must do so, the gdk-imlib1 package has a bug (and probably others,
> too); otherwise Lintian has a bug (in which case it would be good to hear
> of a better solution to recognize shared libraries).

I thought the soname together with the major version is used by ld.so to
determine which library it is linked against.

> 2. The question I have is the exact file format of the `shlibs' control
> files. Most packages install shlibs files like this:
>   libfoo 1        foo (>= 1.2.3-1)
>
> However, a few packages mention the full path when specifing the shared
> library, like here:
>   /usr/lib/fakeroot/libfakeroot      0       libc6

If it's only with the fakeroot package, it's a special case where the
shared library is *not* included in a path provided by /etc/ld.so.conf.
I believe this is intentional (at least for fakeroot it is).  Therefore
I believe that this is ok.

Regards,

	Joey

 /                                     http://home.pages.de/~joey/
/ Install joe (Joey's Own Editor)     correct: Joe's Own Editor /