Re: kernel headerts and libc6

Hi,

	All righty then. This needs coperation between me, the
 kernel-* package mantianers, and the libc6-dev maintainer.

	I am goint to release the updated kernel-package which shall
 have an extra target called libc-kheaders. make-kpkg shall be
 modified to accept this, and it shall be documented, even though I am
 sure people shall abuse that by creating incompatible libc-kheaders
 versions on their own machines (not our problem).

	The kernel-* package maintainer then has to create a special
 libc-kheader package rom the 2.0.32 kernel sources (I do not think
 there is any need to re-issue the other kernel-* packages.) This
 package shall have to be manually signed, and uploaded.

	It may help if the release manager and the archive manager see
 that it does not get held up in Incoming too long, while libc6-dev
 zips along into the archive, since everyone not using APT shall have
 problems with an uninstallable libc6-dev.

	The control file shall make this package conflict with
 libc6-dev (<= 2.0.7pre1-4).  I suggest that the next version of
 libc6-dev does not have symlinks in /usr/include (libc-kheaders shall
 create directories in /usr/include), and it should depend on
 libc-kheaders.  APT would then deconfigure/remove libc6-dev; install
 libc-kheaders, and re-install libc6-dev, right, Jason?

	The sutomatic update script should also be updated when all
 this is updated and in place.

	Have I missed anything? Any objections?

	And all this cause people don't read manuals ;-)

	manoj
--
 Get thee behind me, Satan, and push me along! --anonymous