Re: Request for permission

On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, Marcelo E. Magallón wrote:

> I request permission to make the following excecutable files part
> of a package:
>
> usr/X11R6/bin/Login.app (login.app)
> usr/X11R6/bin/Mixer.app (mixer.app)
>
> the upstream authors use this names for the executables. The
> ".app" part is there because that's the NeXT way of naming
> programs. The upper case letter is there because that's what the
> upstream authors use. The package names themselves are lower case
> because dpkg-gencontrol doesn't like uppercase letters.
[snip]

Current policy doesn't specify guidelines about file names. Therefore, I
think you could just go ahead and release the packages (if you haven't do
so already).

However, a new policy WRT file names is in preparation. So be prepared
that we raise this issue again as soon as we have a consensus about the
new policy.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian has a logo!    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Check out the logo     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
pages at  http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/