Re: changelog vs ChangeLog and policy dictates

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> > Would adding a
> > 	ln -s ChangeLog.gz /usr/doc/xyzzy/changelog.gz
> > to your rules file as David Engel suggested be acceptable? It complies
> > with the letter of policy and doesn't force you to change the upstream
> > documentation.
>
> While this solution is esthetically more pleasing it is no less clutter
> that a cp -a ... line. Also, from my perspective, it breaks the
> "consistency" you are so desperate to obtain. (It does fix the broken
> parser, but there are other ways to do that)

I think we need a symlink such as the one above, in cases where the upstream
changelog has a different name to the one we want.

This also makes more sense than merely renaming the upstream changelog
because other documentation included with the package may make reference
to the changelog by its original name. (CHANGES, ChangeLog, HISTORY, etc..)

I therefore propose that the symlink as detailed above, becomes part of
policy.

	Martin.