Re: changelog vs ChangeLog and policy dictates

Hi,

	I think one of the reasons that sets Debian apart is the
 Policy document. It makes it possible for the different components of
 Debian to interact.  A Package can depend on other packages and the
 policy (like LaTeX2HTML putting icons in /vaw/www and knowing that
 the Debian HTTP server can find them).

	I do not think the Policy is something we follow when we feel
 like following it. Any set of rules under that paradigm is
 undependable, and hence useless. As soon as policy becomes optional,
 the synergy and coperation between Debian packages shall begin to
 break down. (which is one reason why changes in policy should not be
 entered into lightly).

	With the Changlog files put in the correct place, I can set a
 program to generate a changlog for the whole distribution, parse the
 bugs fixed [as soon as the suto closure of bugs policy comes into
 effect], do a list of changes for the net section, or anything like
 that. Muck with the names of changelogs, and it is impossible to even
 think further.

	Please do not think that the preceding psuedo-example thrown
 at you at the top off my head is the only reason for consistancy and
 dependablity of the policy mandated changelog names; just because my
 imagination is at fault does not undermine the fact that such
 dependable consistency is required to build any grand edifice on top
 of things.

	I strogly aver that policy should indeed be considred as cast
 in stone; and we use the the procedures in effect to change policy to
 improve it if there are flaws in the document, rather than
 undermining it by flouting its directives.

	manoj
 who looks at policy like he does at the ANSI C standard. The epitome
 of authoritative.
--
 Always do what you are afraid to do.  Emerson