Re: `Every package must have exactly one maintainer'

Hi,

James> Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
>> Note, that we are talking about `package maintenance', not other
>> developer's duties. Facts are different if we talk about
>> `webmasters,' `listmasters', etc.--this is not what this discussion
>> is about.

James> What's the difference between maintaining a package and
James> processing new maintainer requests when it comes to the
James> benefits and problems of multiple maintainers?

	I find there is a modicum of design and innovation required
 for my packages. I do not believe in the cookie cutter approach to
 software packaging. Therein lies the difference.

James> It comes down to this: there are currently two packages in the
James> distribution which are maintainer by multiple maintainers: dpkg
James> and boot-floppies.  There will soon be a third
James> (debian-keyring).  You were and are wrong about boot-floppies
James> (IMO), and *no one* has even begun to prove that dpkg's is in
James> the state it's in because it has multiple maintainers.  Yes,
James> dpkg's maintenance \begin{litotes}isn't great\end{litotes} but
James> you are scape-goating multiple maintainers by blaming it on
James> that.  Please show me some evidence that had dpkg continued to
James> be maintained by Ian alone, it would be in better shape now
James> than it currently is.

	Please show me on working multi-maintainer package. Not a
 shared task like new maintainer handling or the admin duties, just
 one package.

	Having the only multi-maintiner package being in an untenable
 state is a black mark.  Though there is no proof that they are in
 state because of having multiple maintainers, multiple maintainer
 packages do have a bad track record.

	Maintianing a keyring or inducting new maintainers is not the
 same as maintaing a package or writing software.

>> does not mean that only one person works on a package! It only
>> means, that there is a unique person who coordinates all changes.
>> >
>> > So if that person gets busy no changes can be coordinated... baz
>> bat bamus batis bant.
>>
>> In which case we could define a `Backup-Maintainer'.

James> And if he's busy?  Sorry, but your arguments are circular and
James> bogus.

	Really? Backups are bogus cause the backup tapes can be
 corrupt too? Do you really work in the information systems field?

James> If there is a single person responsible for coordinating
James> changes he becomes the critical link in the chain, if he
James> becomes busy, nothing happens.  If you define a backup, it only
James> takes the primary and the backup to become busy before again
James> output stops.  What next?  Make a Backup-Backup-Maintainer:?

James> With multiple maintainers there is no critical link in the
James> chain, anyone person can step forward to take up the slack.
James> Output stops only when all maintainers are busy, this is no
James> loss over single maintainership or single person responsible
James> for coordinating changes.

	You are overlooking basic human psychology: when a crowd is
 responsible for something, nobody is responsible for it.

>> (What does the `baz bat...' mean?? This doesn't look like you are
>> taking the discussion seriously.)

James> Please don't try to be so condescending, it doesn't work.

	Pot. Kettle. Black.

James> It could have been fixed by either Miquel or Juan, and they
James> didn't (one assumes because they didn't know/forgot about the
James> bug), maybe that indicates it's not quite the disaster for
James> humanity you paint it to be.

	I find it extremely irritating, and would have raised more of
 a fuss if I did not have a personal copy.

	manoj

--
 From sensuality arises sorrow, from sensuality arises fear, but he
 who is freed from sensuality has no sorrow and certainly no fear. 215