Re: Wht remove /usr/local dirs in prerm rather than postrm?

[Resent because the first message bounced--hope noone get's this twice.]

On 13 Mar 1998, Rob Browning wrote:

> Is there some good reason?  I guess it depends on the interpretation
> of "postrm".
[snip]

IIRC, the reason for this is that the "prerm" is the counter-part of the
"postinst" script.

> It seemed to me like it might make sense to remove them in the postrm
> where you know that anything that might have referenced this directory
> is gone, and can't be executed again.

Only empty /usr/local directories may be removed in the prerm script
(perhaps this should be stressed in the manual?) and the package may not
place files into a /usr/local directory itself, so it doesn't make a big
difference when these directories are removed. (It's just important that
they are removed, since otherwise the user would have lots of unused
directories in /usr/local.)

Hope this answers your question,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/