Re: `Every package must have exactly one maintainer'

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:

>  4. A unique point of communication. In case of questions WRT a
>     packages' `interface', it's much easier for other maintainers to
>     get an `authoritative' answer if you have one person to contact.

You continually bring up this hideously bogus argument.  If we had a
single authoritative new maintainer person, it would be Klee.  Do you
think it would be easier to get questions answered if you mailed him?

Questions instead go to the new-maintainer alias and one of us answers
it depending on who isn't busy at the time.  This is, I would have
thought, obviously a better situation.

>  2. Having only one person listed in the "Maintainer:" field does
>     not mean that only one person works on a package! It only means,
>     that there is a unique person who coordinates all changes.

So if that person gets busy no changes can be coordinated... baz bat
bamus batis bant.

>  3. If we had a few positive examples of multi-maintainer packages
>     which are maintained well, I wouldn't be so picky about
>     this. Unfortunately, we still have communication problems with
>     the two multi-maint packages we have (dpkg and boot-floppies).

You're:

a) ignoring the complexities of the two packages and the fact that
   they're native Debian packages and thus have no upstream authors to
   fix complex bugs.

b) picking on boot-floppies for no good reason (what exactly is wrong
   with it?  Okay, there are a lot of bugs, but there's a lot of
   weirdo hardware out there.  There is a lot of active and good
   development, people responding to bugs, new versions etc. etc.,
   it's no comparison to dpkg).

c) ignoring the bug tracking system, new maintainer processing and pgp
   maintenance.  They're all multi-maintainer and all benefit from it.
   (I dare you to say otherwise)

--
James - "in a fishbowl... same old ground.. year after year.." (or
         something)