Re: Locales and Programs parsing other's output

(Sorry for the late reply.)

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Yann Dirson wrote:

> It appears that some programs in our distribution (see logs for bug
> #17361 or #19166 for known examples) are trying to parse other's
> output, without ensuring a specific locale.
>
> Such a behaviour can cause obscure failures (eg. dpkg-parsechangelog
> in #17361), or even erroneous output (the 'isnative' function in
> dh_lib, using dpkg-parsechangelog in the same bug, or lintian in
> #19166).
>
> As many programmers not using a locale are not aware of these
> problems, it seems important to me to add a paragraph in the Policy,
> demanding that any program whose output is being parsed should be run
> in an environment where LC_ACC is set to a fixed value,
> preferably "C", or all locale-influent variables (see the output of
> "locale") are unset.
>
> IMHO, this should be made Policy ASAP.

I don't think this is a topic which belongs to the policy manual. (For
example, the policy manual doesn't include a statement like `dereferencing
NULL pointers is evil' either.)

If we had a `Debian Programmer's Manual', this could go there--but since
we don't do a lot of programming ourselves, we'll probably never have such
a manual.

Any other opinions?

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/