Re: General bug policy

On Tue, Apr 07, 1998 at 10:39:42PM +0100, James Troup wrote:
> Joost Kooij <kooij@mpn.cp.philips.com> writes:
> > I think it would be wiser to leave open the possibility for people to
> > browse the BTS and wield out obsoleted- and non-bugs, even if this
> > doesn't seem to happen very regularly at this moment.
>
> Wield (?) them out by all means,

I think Joost meant "weed".

> and ask the maintainer to close them, but the maintainer should be the one
> closing bugs, not some random individual on a clean up crusade.

I think this is an issue where it is difficult to lay down rules that cover
all practical cases.

I have on occassion closed bugs from packages I don't maintain (e.g. reports
that resulted from spam; bugs that were reported and fixed earlier (which
happens frequently with major problems like the recent grep and
xlib6-is-a-libc6-lib bugs)); so far I have not received complaints about
this.

Now that we're discussing closing bugs; what about other manipulations of
bug reports ((un)merge, reassign, assigning/modifying severity etc.)? Even
if we introduce strict rules on closing bugs, I don't think it's a good idea
to apply these rules to the other manipulations withouth careful study.

Ray
--
PATRIOTISM  A great British writer once said that if he had to choose
between betraying his country and betraying a friend he hoped he would