Re: General bug policy

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Ian Jackson wrote:

> I propose the following rules for dealing with disputes over bug
> reports:

[snip]

> 4. Noone but the maintainer of a package (or someone acting on their
> request) should close its bug reports.

I assume that this applies primarily to cases where there is a (possible)
dispute about the validity of the bug.

If this rule is to apply in the most general sense, a lot more stale bugs
will linger in the bug tracking system.

I think it would be wiser to leave open the possibility for people to
browse the BTS and wield out obsoleted- and non-bugs, even if this doesn't
seem to happen very regularly at this moment.

IIRC I've even seen remarks from some maintainers that they don't keep bug
report mails and never look at the BTS.

Cheers,

Joost