Re: Conffiles and Configuration files (again)

Just to throw a real situation at this, I'm packaging SOCKSv5 stuff.

Both the client and server packages use some configuration files in /etc.
The situation is this:

I can't provide default ones that work since everyones network is different
(I can provide example ones with the lines commented out though!)

So I decided that I could provide default ones and only create them *if*
they didn't exist. The files would then be removed on a purge. Basically,
treat these files as high-score files.

There is one drawback with this - dpkg only removes backup versions of
conffiles, so that there will probably be /etc/libsocks5.conf~ files left
behind.  The benefit is that the user is never asked about the conffiles
(keep it Y/N/...).

Thoughts?

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com       | Debian Linux - www.debian.org
http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett   | 2.0 release soon - over 1800
PGP key available on public key servers  | packages on a stable OS