Re: libtool varying versions

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 17, 1998 at 08:30:08AM -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl wrote:
> > > One of the irritating other things is that newer versions of libtool
> > > force -rpath.
> >
> > Yes. And lintian generates a warning about that.
>
> Yes. I suggested this to Christian.
>
> > Is it that serious?
>
> It can be. For instance, the main reason why Red Hat's CDE doesn't work on a
> hamm system is that it was compiled -rpath /usr/X11R6/lib. CDE is still
> libc5, ergo most of the CDE programs crash, because they get loaded against
> a libc6 xlib. Within Debian, we had the same problem with a number of X
> packages (most notably fvwm2) that crashed once a system had xlib6g.
>
> > I mean, should we, Debian, (again) patch libtool?
>
> Last time I looked, the libtool we had was the old release that didn't force
> -rpath.
>
> > It's becoming a bit troubling to know we have a "different" libtool.
>
> IMO the new libtool's behaviour (forced -rpath and no inter-library
> dependencies) is seriously broken. The Debian maintainer should lobby with
> the upstream author to get if fixed (or, at the very least, provide options
> so that Linux users can specify --no-rpath
> --inter-library-dependencies-please)..

I fully agree.

Could the libtool maintainer please comment on this? (E.g., is the
upstream maintainer willing to do the changes?)

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com