Re: IMPORTANT: calling ldconfig in maintainer scripts

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:

> The result of this discussion surprises me. I remember a few other
> discussions on this topic here and the result has always been: `the
> packaging manual is completely correct--if everyone does it exactly as
> it's documented, we won't have any problems'.

The last two threads on this I've seen did start that way, but
eventually, David popped up and straightened things out.  I was the
one that started one of these threads about 6 months ago.  It's my
understanding that the packaging manual is incorrect.

Since David is one of the ld.so upstream authors, I'd be inclined to
believe him.

> Does someone know which technical aspects we forgot in all these
> discussions or which part of it has changed now??

I'd send the bit of proposed manual text to David Engel
<david@debian.org>, and he should be able to make sure it's OK.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>