Re: IMPORTANT: calling ldconfig in maintainer scripts

On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> [that's no quotation!]
>   Packaging Manual - chapter 12: shared libraries

>   Any package installing shared libraries in a directory that's listed
>   in /etc/ld.so.conf has to call "ldconfig" in its postinst script, unless
>   this script is called with a "failed-*" or "abort-*" argument (in which
>   case ldconfig may _not_ be called).
>
>   It is especially important not to call ldconfig in the postrm or preinst
>   scripts in the case where the package is being upgraded (see Details of
>   unpack phase of installation or upgrade, section 6.3), as ldconfig will
>   see the temporary names that dpkg uses for the files while it is
>   installing them and will make the shared library links point to them,
>   just before dpkg continues the installation and removes the links!
> [end of proposal]
>
> One question: is it important to call ldconfig if the library has been
> removed? (I guess "no", but it would be good if someone could verify
> this.)

Hi,

can someone please comment on the last question?
My libpaper.postrm is as follows

  #! /bin/sh
  set -e
  if [ "$1" = "remove" ]; then
    ldconfig
  fi
  exit 0

I have added the ldconfig so that the library
is removed from the cached list. I'd like
to know if this is OK or if it can cause problems.

Thanks,

Marco