Re: libtool varying versions

On Tue, Mar 17, 1998 at 08:30:08AM -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl wrote:
> > One of the irritating other things is that newer versions of libtool
> > force -rpath.
>
> Yes. And lintian generates a warning about that.

Yes. I suggested this to Christian.

> Is it that serious?

It can be. For instance, the main reason why Red Hat's CDE doesn't work on a
hamm system is that it was compiled -rpath /usr/X11R6/lib. CDE is still
libc5, ergo most of the CDE programs crash, because they get loaded against
a libc6 xlib. Within Debian, we had the same problem with a number of X
packages (most notably fvwm2) that crashed once a system had xlib6g.

> I mean, should we, Debian, (again) patch libtool?

Last time I looked, the libtool we had was the old release that didn't force
-rpath.

> It's becoming a bit troubling to know we have a "different" libtool.

IMO the new libtool's behaviour (forced -rpath and no inter-library
dependencies) is seriously broken. The Debian maintainer should lobby with
the upstream author to get if fixed (or, at the very least, provide options
so that Linux users can specify --no-rpath
--inter-library-dependencies-please)..

Ray
--
POPULATION EXPLOSION  Unique in human experience, an event which happened
yesterday but which everyone swears won't happen until tomorrow.