Re: `Every package must have exactly one maintainer'

Manoj:
>         I have only passing interest in this topic, but I wanted to
>  point out that on *can* hold people resposible for things even i a
>  volunteer project (I most definitely am responsible for my packages),
>  we merely can not discipline them for failing to meet their
>  responsibilities, apart from the prospect of negative public
>  opinion. I think this is a distinction which is not unimportant.

I think we do not want to foster a `negative public opinion' of any
maintainer that we still want to be part of the Project.

What do you mean be `hold responsible for' ?  As I said in my article:

] I can think of only two possible reason for saying that a package
] might be required to have only one maintainer:
]
] 1. Decisionmaking in case of disagreement.  This is a red herring; ...
] 2. Blame.  ...

What other reason are you suggesting, or do you think that blame is a
useful way for us to interact ?

>         One only needs look at the bug list for one of the peioneering
>  multi-maintainer packages (namely; dpkg)  to think that possibly when
>  a goup is responsible for a package, in reality no one is responsible
>  for it.

What about owner@bugs.debian.org ?  The bug system has been maintained
and run by Guy and me jointly for the past goodness knows how long,
and hardly anyone has even noticed.

Ian.