GIMP depends on fonts, but fonts don't have to be in a package..

    Thomas> Hi, I have just encountered the same problem (gimp depends
    Thomas> on xfnt...)  when I tried to install it on a rack mounted
    Thomas> server (without screen and keyboard) for remote access. It
    Thomas> doesn't make sense to install X11 fonts on that machine,
    Thomas> there is no X11 Server running. The fonts have to be
    Thomas> accessible (either locally or by a font server) on the
    Thomas> Client machines where the Gimp output is displayed by the
    Thomas> local X11 Server.

You're right, there should be some way to bypass this. I'm forwarding
this to Mark Eichin, the X font maintainer, and debian-policy.

The problem is this, debian-policy and Mark:

GIMP *needs* access to the 75bpp X fonts *and* the 100bpp X fonts. So
I made the gimp package depend on xfnt75 and xfnt100. No problems
there, but some people don't install xfnt75 and xfnt100, and instead
use xfs to serve the fonts out.

How can I provide for this in the GIMP package? If I remove the
dependancy on xfnt75 and xfnt100, I'll get bug reports that GIMP
crashes without informative information (it's because it needs the
fonts and can't get them). If I leave the dependancy in, I get bug
reports from people who use xfs.

What's the solution here?

--
Brought to you by the letters K and O and the number 10.
"It makes my nipples hard!" -- The Creator of the Be Box