Re: /usr/share

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Brian White wrote:

> > Umm, did you even read the FHS before posting this?  /usr/share is
> > mandated by FHS
>
> I knew it's purpose, yes.  The only thing that this mentions that I didn't
> know is the "is for all read-only architecture independent data files" part.
>
> I can understand why making it untouchable by packages will violate the "all"
> part, but I notice you didn't provide any other possible solutions to the
> problems I mentioned.

Okay.  Same proposal as wanting /usr mounted read-only over NFS.  Unmount
the partition when upgrading, then rm -rf whatever gets stuck there after
upgrading your packages.  I don't see any difference here, the goal of
/usr/share as I see it is to provide a sharing point between linux-x86 and
linux-{sparc,alpha,m86k,etc} just as you can share /usr across the same
arch.  Yes, if you're trying to do it before the tools have support, it's
a pain.  However the solution is to fix dpkg, not to cripple the
maintainers.

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/