Re: sources to both contrib & main packages

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> Some sources produce both main & non-main packages. www-sql, for example,
> produces www-mysql (used to be www-sql) for contrib (since mysql is
> non-free); currently the www-sql source is in contrib too. Now www-sql
> can be built for postgresql too, so I will make a binary package
> www-pgsql. This can go into main because postgresql is DFSG-free,
> and www-sql itself is GPL.
>
> However, dpkg-buildpackage is going to want to build both
> www-mysql & www-pgsql if they're built off the same source;
> a main source package can't depend on non-main things to build, so
> it won't be able to build www-mysql. But www-sql must be in main
> to build www-pgsql for main.
>
> The "fix" seems to be to have two source packages. Is there a better one?
> dpkg-buildpackage needs multiple binary targets, perhaps.
>
> Some other packages were mentioned on debian-devel which have the same
> problem; ax25utils (has some xforms support), ddd and some others.

My php3 packages fall into the same category. I have made a separate
source package called php3-contrib which include only the sources needed
to build php3-mysql, php3-msql and php3-gd (they depend on non-free
libraries)

Greg

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@caesar.elte.hu         gorgo@linux.rulez.org