Re: Clarification of Policy and Packaging manuals requested

Zed>         - Files listed as conffiles are still constrained by any other
Zed>           rules that may apply to them; e.g. configuration files that
Zed>           are conffiles must still go in /etc, variable data files
Zed>           still go in /var, and so forth.

	Hmmm. Ok.

Zed> After having lurked in debian-devel for a while, I suspect that
Zed> Manoj will object that developers for Debian need to be sufficiently
Zed> proficient in writing shell scripts and whatever else that they can
Zed> deal with this on their own.

	;-)

Zed> I think that mindset is not in the best interests of the Debian
Zed> project.

	I think I disagree. Letting developers who can't write shell
 scripts can in no way be in the interests of the project, one of
 whose goals is *excellence*.

Zed> One of the (several) reasons why I switched from Redhat to Debian
Zed> was the ease in which I was able to set up my own local .deb
Zed> files to maintain my own system.

	Users are not bound by the Policy. Developers are.

Zed> This provides an atmosphere in which a community at large *can*
Zed> contribute to a system.

	The community at large does not get to put random bits of
 software on my production machine.

Zed> The easier it gets to do this *in a proper fashion*, the more
Zed> software will show up as being available under Debian, even if
Zed> it's only in the contrib/non-free areas.

	I do not wish to promote quantity at the expense of
 quality. If it is in Debian, it is a high quality product. I never
 want that diluted.

Zed> Note that I don't mean this to be understood as my condoning poor
Zed> coding practice overall; for instance a note was made on
Zed> debian-devel of a case where someone had tagged a shell script in
Zed> /usr that got customized as a conffile, where in fact it should
Zed> have been including a configuration file from /etc, and I agree
Zed> that this ought to be filed as a bug.

	I'm glad you clarified that ;-)

	manoj
--
 Better than being sole king of the whole earth, better than going to
 heaven or sovereignty over the whole universe is the fruit of