Re: GNUstep and /usr/GNUstep...

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Gregor Hoffleit wrote:

> I had packaged a previous snapshot, but ran into similar problems. I
> came up with the issues on debian-policy, but got no responses. I second
> your observations: GNUstep is not compatible with FHS/FSSTND and it has
> good reasons to do so. Making it compliant with FSSTND is a major effort
> that tends to make GNUstep less attractive to developers.

Just a side note. I made the NMU's of wmaker up to 0.13.0 (I have 0.13.1
already, but I've been holding the upload because Neil seems to be back --
I got an email from him)

wmaker's author likes GNUstep. He made wmaker GNUstep-happy. He wants to
install things in /usr/GNUstep/Defaults or /usr/share/GNUstep/Defaults,
and stuff like that.  I modified it to use /etc/GNUstep/Defaults (sue me,
I didn't ask here first -- now I realize I should have). I think AT LEAST
this part has to be there... unless you want to incur in a policy
violation putting conffiles somewhere not in /etc -- funny, where have I
heard this before? ;-)

Other parts of GNUstep *can* be moved to more sensible places (/usr/X11R6,
/usr/lib, /var, ...), but I agree, it's a royal pain to do this.

	Marcelo