Re: policy violation and bug reports.

Hi,

Joey> Adam P. Harris wrote:
>> No, I think Manoj's original suggestion was better.  Handle high
>> score files from {post,pre}{inst,rm}.  Do not tag as a conf file.
>> Leave in / var/games.

	Ok, my solution again. For games that do not need a prebuilt
 score file, touch the file in postinst and *set the permission to be
 group writable*. All the games work with that that I tried,
 including, actually, Maelstrom.

	For any games that shall not work that way, put the file
 somewhere, and move it into /var/lib in postinst when no such
 exists. (I do not know a game that can't handle zero length files
 with proper permissions)

Joey> Just to reiterate my objections:
Joey> 1. Have to handle score files which change format.

	How often does that happen? when it happens in angband, we
 read old format, write new one out. If we can't do that, the old
 score file is useless, and in postinst, can be removed.

Joey> 2. Have to handle score files that come with some scores already
Joey>    in them, for you to try to beat. (Ie, Maelstrom's score file)

	Does that.

Joey> 3  We already have a mechanism for doing this (conffiles). Why
Joey>    re-implement it on a package by package basis?

	Because it does not. We do not need the complexities of the
 conffile solution, and they are not configuration files in the first
 place. Configuration files, for which our solution exists, belong in
 /etc/ We do not need to use the conffile solution. Other means
 exist.

Joey> 4  These are variable data files, and the fsstnd says the place
Joey> for them is /var, not /etc.

	Fine. They are not conffiles. we agree here.

Joey> I really haven't seen any of these issues addressed yet, though
Joey> I respect your feelings on this and it's good to have someone
Joey> else's input!

	;-)

	manoj

--
 There are three ways to get something done: do it yourself, hire
 someone, or forbid your kids to do it.  -- Monta Crane