Re: GNUstep and /usr/GNUstep...

On Sat, Feb 21, 1998 at 06:00:19PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
> >>"Vincent" == Vincent Renardias <vincent@waw.com> writes:
>
> Vincent> I remember this discussion. The main difference is that KDE
> Vincent> is not a standard (not yet at least ;) while OPENSTEP has
> Vincent> been normalized in 1994. GNUstep inteding to be OPENSTEP
> Vincent> compliant I guess we also have to cope with the "bad
> Vincent> features" of it...
>
> 	Hmmm. Yes, this is a point (this is the reason we have
>  /usr/X22R6, really). We have to decide whether GNUSTEP should have
>  the same degree of importance for Debian that the X window system
>  does.

And this rises the question if X *has* to reside under /usr/X11R6...
(/usr/X11R6 ha bin, include,lib and man. Nothing that couldn't be put
elsewhere, one would think. Please don't flame me if I am completely wrong,
I am just wondering.)

No, I won't file a bug report ;)

> >> So why are all these `desktop environments' designed so that they
> >> _need_ to have everything in a single directory hierarchy? This
> >> looks to me as they see themselves as `pure add-ons' to other
> >> operating systems/
>
> Vincent> GNUstep does not NEED to be in a single directory in order to
> Vincent> work. It will just make it look weird compared with the other
> Vincent> implementations (NeXTStep, Apple Rhapsody, Solaris, NT, ...)
>
> 	When has looking weird stopped us? ;-)

People *expect* us being weird and broken ;)

> Vincent> Also OPENSTEP _is_ an operating system add-on, the same way
> Vincent> X11R6 is.
>
> 	Then, I guess, the question is whether we are going to adopt
>  this addition as an integral part of the OS. like we have adopted the
>  X window system.
>
> >> Perhaps we can find a `temporary compromise' then: Since a) the
> >> packages would have to go into `contrib' first (unless the new dgs
> >> is released) and you said `you're not sure if they are really
> >> useful', why don't you just release them to contrib and install
> >> everything into /usr/GNUstep for a first release?
>
> Vincent> contrib, or even experimental since GNUstep has not yet
> Vincent> reached the point where it can really be used (still mostly
> Vincent> developer only)
>
> 	That answers my question. We definitely can not affoed GNU
>  STEP the same importance as X, not until it gets stabler. I would
>  hesitate to start bending standards for just any experimental
>  doftware project, but that is just me (or is it?)

Nope. You have my support here. There are very good reasons for those
standards, and we should only give them up for stronger reasons.

Marcus