manpage for GNU utilities?

Hi folks!

As everyone knows (at least, should know :) our current policy requires
every program/utility to have a manual page (see policy manual, section
5.1). However, since the FSF prefers `TeXinfo', most GNU utilities have
info manuals. The lack of a manual page is usually reported as bugs (and
also detected by Lintian), so most Debian packages ship a manual page,
too. That's good thing IMO (because I prefer manpages over info manuals
;-)

But in some cases, the manpages contain a text like this (example taken
from sort(1)):

DESCRIPTION
       This documentation is no longer being maintained  and  may
       be inaccurate or incomplete.  The Texinfo documentation is
       now the authoritative source.

IMO, this is a policy violation. Especially, in the case of sort(1), where
the info page is much more up-to-date than the manpage.

Before I start to write a lintian check for this I wanted to discuss this
issue here: I'm sure this Lintian check will produce complaints by a few
maintainers. The point is: Either we ship manual pages (then they have to
be up-to-date) or we don't ship manual pages. I'm clearly for the first
option.

Comments are welcome!

Thanks,

Chris