Re: `du' control files

Hi,
>>"Kai" == Kai Henningsen <kaih@khms.westfalen.de> writes:

Kai> srivasta@datasync.com (Manoj Srivastava) wrote on 16.02.98 in
Kai> <[🔎] 87hg5zgb3k.fsf@tiamat.datasync.com>:
>> >>"Joey" == Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

Joey> This isn't a debating society, Manoj.

Manoj> No, it isn't. I had hoped that this was a forum that people could
Manoj> have a reasonable discourse on, without ad hominem attacks. I stand
Manoj> corrected.

Kai> If you want to avoid ad hominem attacks, Manoj, I suggest not
Kai> using them in the first place.

	Please quote chapter and verse. When did I resort to
 profanity, or on personal attackes on people? Can you back your
 statement?

Joey> You're the one who turned a reasoned discussion into a series of
Joey> attacks on debian developer's abilities. That makes me really
Joey> steamed, and that is _all_ my response was intended to convey.

Manoj> A series of attacks? Is that how you characterize my involvement?
Manoj> You, sir, have led a very sheltered life. And getting ``steamed''
Manoj> and raving and ranting leads no where.

Kai> Well, it doesn't make me quite as steamed, but I do agree with
Kai> his assessment. You do seem to value the attack quite a bit more
Kai> than the argument.

	If you have facts to back your statements, please present
 them. Which particular developer did I malign?

Kai> That's your choice, of course. Just don't be surprised about the
Kai> reactions.

Manoj> If you are offended by my opinions on spoon feeding adults, so be
Manoj> it. My position is strong enough that it does not have to be
Manoj> bolstered by vulgarity. Obviously, one can not say the same for
Manoj> yours, much to my dismay.

Kai> If you equate vulgarity with some specific words, perhaps. If you
Kai> see it more as a style of discourse, them this is a case of the
Kai> pot calling the kettle black. You impress me as intelligent; I
Kai> must assume that you meant to offend.

	A statement ``Oh, Bullshit'', is not vulgar, but merely a
 style of discourse? I beg to differ. Quote me when you say I was
 vulgar.

	This is thrice you have stated I have made personal attacks on
 people. Please back your accusations.

Manoj> general. Mayhap the gentleman protesteth too much?

	This was possibly my only remark directed towards an individual.

Kai> Oops. Now you did it. Now you pressed one of my buttons: The
Kai> above is probably the most extremely stupid and idiotic concept I
Kai> have ever met in my life.

	Stupid and idiotic. I see. I'd suggest you take a basic course
 in human psychology.

Manoj> Since reasonable discourse seems out of the question, I guess this
Manoj> concludes the discussion.

Kai> I just love people who, when called on their offensive behaviour,
Kai> state that now, discussion is impossible.

	I generally withdraw from a discussion when people turn
 abusive or profane. Take that as you will.

	That's four ad hominem attacks you have made. You still expect
 a civil discourse?

	manoj

--
 "The condition upon which God has given liberty to man is eternal
 vigilance." John Philpot Curran