Re: what to do with `namespace-pollution'

On Tue, Feb 10, 1998 at 09:26:36PM +0100, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> A few days ago there was a discussion on debian-devel about
> `namespace-pollution', i.e., binaries in the PATH which use a very short
> name (1 or 2 characters). The problem with such binaries is that users
> usually take 1- or 2-character names for aliases, short shell scripts,
> etc.
>
> >From the discussion on debian-devel I got the impression that most people
> agree that we should have as few 1- or 2-character binaries as possible in
> the PATH. Of course, there are lots of important programs like `w', `ls',
> `rm', etc. in the PATH and these should definitely not changed.
>
> So the question is, how should we treat non-standard packages which
> install binaries with short names? A good example is the `sam' package
> which installs a binary `B'. (sam is a plan9 editor) That file name is
> used upstream too.

Essentially, we should try to be conservative and prohibit further
introduction of binary names in the path with equal or less than 2 (or 3?)
letters or other characters.

There is no need to keep a silly choosen upstream name. We change a lot of
things defined upstream (file location, etc), and I don't think that
changing a name from "B" to something more readable is confusing (the
opposite is the case).

Furthermore, everyone can get upstream maintainer and choose names that he
prefers (a "good" example is the chris-cust package, it contains personal
preferences of the maintainer and upstream author cristoph lameter.
Actually, I'm not sure if such packages should be in the distribution at
all, but this is another story).

If this will remain allowed, I will consider releasing a package containing
all remaining one, two and three letter words as empty shell scripts. ;)
Before you flame me to a crisp, this was apparently a joke. I would never do
this.

Beside the reason you gave above, consider that a short name gives *no* idea
about the functionality.

Serious: My suggestion is to force a discussion on debian-devel if a new one
or two letter command shall be introduced. Further the use of three letter
commands should be depreciated.

Thank you,
Marcus