Re: new policy topic --- syslog() [was Re: syslog facilities]

[You (Karl M. Hegbloom)]
> Some more facilities should be hacked into syslogd, I think.
>
> Hmmm...  fax, ppp, www, isdn(?), uhhmmm... what else?

I would have all dialout stuff (chat, ppp, isdn-ppp) go to a 'serial'
facility, or perhaps a better name (dialout is not good, since it could
be dial in).  I agree with fax.  I think that's all we need for now.

Does anyone know how hard this is to implement?  I guess it just applies
to sysklogd (and any replacement for that, if there are any) and whatever
applications log to these levels.

If we do take this route, would we need to specify the complete list of
syslog levels in policy?  I doubt it -- <sys/syslog.h> is the "policy" in
a way.  Even so, we should add a policy topic to rule out naughty
programs using local* log facilities.