Re: about unique maintainer address policy

ydirson@a2points.com (Yann Dirson)  wrote on 28.01.98 in <[🔎] 199801282159.WAA04963@ppp37.a2points.com>:

> Ben Pfaff writes:
>  >     - change the current DB schema to be able to store different
>  >       "Maintainer:" email addresses for each person
>  >
>  > This is the best solution IMHO.  It is more flexible and doesn't force
>  > adoption of a single e-mail address.
>
> It seems solution #3 (registering full name, not email address)
> doesn't force it either.  I think it would be better.  Probably
> solution #1 (the one you advocate) will just make the DB bigger, not
> gaining much.

Well, until you get a case of two people with the same full name. Sooner
or later, it will happen.

>  >  Although I myself only use a
>  > single address, I respect the reasons of people, such as Ian Jackson,
>  > who use multiple addresses to filter e-mail.
>
> So do I.

Hmm. I do use multiple addresses, much like Ian said he does. I haven't
yet found a reason to use different maintainer addresses.

Well, maybe if I ever get a hugely popular package that everyone wants to
talk to me about.

Anyway, as long as using multiple addresses serves a useful purpose
(according to whoever does it), I suppose we should support it. For cases
where there is no system behind it, however, it probably still should not
be done. But I don't know a good way to word that for policy.

MfG Kai